Opening of Hartley Lifecare Renaissance House, Chapman, ACT [Her Excellency Mrs Linda Hurley]
I acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we meet, the Ngunnawal People, and pay my respects to their elders, past and present, and all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders gathered here today.
Good morning, everyone.
David and I are delighted to be with you for today’s official opening of Hartley Lifecare’s Renaissance House. Congratulations to all involved in the House.
It is a wonderful state-of-the art facility and importantly will provide residents with the necessary comfort and support, and families and carers with the reassurance that loved ones are in a safe and welcoming environment.
I am both proud and honoured to be Patron of Hartley Lifecare because it is an organisation that ‘helps people with disability to live their best life’. Hartley’s mission speaks of inclusion, equality, compassion and respect. That’s a sign of a great organisation.
All of you here today – Hartley Lifecare staff, donors, supporters and stakeholders – have made Renaissance House a reality. Each of you has said 'I want to make a positive contribution to my community by helping someone to live a better life'. Those people are the residents of Renaissance House and their families and carers.
As Patron of Hartley Lifecare, I want to thank:
- The ACT Government – for donating the block of land
- All stakeholders – for your generous donations over the past two years
- The Team Leaders of the Hartley Cycle Challenge – your fundraising efforts have been extraordinary
- Andrew, Tony and Mark from Renaissance Homes – this 5-Star facility is thanks to you. I am informed you also sourced the materials and have been extremely generous with your invoicing.
- Amanda from OMNi Interiors – for providing your services pro bono
- Finally … to Lisa Keeling, Darren Box and Eric Thauvette from Hartley Lifecare for your passion and leadership on this project.
One final word. It is not lost on David and me that much of the work on Renaissance House was undertaken during one of the most challenging periods in our nation’s history. Many Australians have been under all sorts of pressures.
This wonderful facility is testament to the selflessness, strength and spirit of the Hartley Lifecare community. Thank you.
It is now my great pleasure to officially declare Hartley Lifecare Renaissance House open.