The Office of the Official Secretary to the Governor-General
The Office of the Official Secretary to the Governor-General supports the Governor-General to fulfil his duties.
- Planning and managing the Governor-General’s program
- Management and maintenance of the official household and two official residences, Government House and Admiralty House
- Administration of the Australian Honours and Awards system.
The Office's Organisational structure is available here.
What we do
- Provide high standard advice and service delivery to the Governor-General and stakeholders
- Deliver effective governance and management arrangements in support of the official duties of the Governor-General, which include constitutional, ceremonial, community and Commander-in-Chief responsibilities
- Ensure efficient and effective stewardship of the properties in accordance with heritage requirements and approved capital works and maintenance programs
- Educate and inform Australians about the role of the Governor-General
- Deliver efficient and effective administration of the Australian honours and awards system
Why we do it
- We support the Governor-General to reinforce the nation’s shared values, promote community cohesion and represent Australia’s broad national interests here and overseas
- We value the opportunity to contribute towards building a stronger, more resilient and harmonious society
- To enhance and contemporise the impact of the Governor-General’s role in modern Australia
- To celebrate and acknowledge community achievement.