Distinguished Service Decorations Regulations
1 These Regulations may be cited as the Distinguished Service Decorations Regulations.
2 In these Regulations -
(a) the Distinguished Service Cross;
(b) the Distinguished Service Medal;
(c) the Commendation for Distinguished Service; or
(d) a bar to the Cross or Medal.
"Defence Force" has the same meaning as in the Defence Act 1993;
"Minister" means the Minister of State for Defence.
Conditions for award of decorations
3 (1) The Distinguished Service Cross shall be awarded only for distinguished command and leadership in warlike operations.
(2) The Distinguished Service Medal shall be awarded only for distinguished leadership in warlike operations.
(3) The Commendation for Distinguished Service shall be awarded only for distinguished performance of duties in warlike operations.
4 Each decoration may be awarded posthumously.
5 The person to whom a decoration may be awarded are:
(a) members of the Defence Force; and
(b) other persons determined by the Minister for the purposes of this regulation.
6 Any subsequent award of the Distinguished Service Cross or the Distinguished Service Medal to the same person shall be made in the form of a bar to the Cross or the Medal, as the case may be.
Making of awards
7 Awards of a decoration shall be made by the Governor-General on the recommendation of the Minister.
Making of immediate awards
8 An immediate award of a decoration may be made by the Governor-General on the recommendation of the Minister.
9 (1) A person to whom the Distinguished Service Cross has been awarded is entitled to have the letters "DSC" placed after the person's name on all occasions when the use of such letters is customary.
(2) A person to whom the Distinguished Service Medal has been awarded is entitles to have the letters "DSM" placed after the person's name on all occasions when the use of such letters is customary.
(3) Where a person has been awarded a bar to a decoration, the person is entitled to have placed after the letters prescribed by this Regulation in respect of that decoration the words "and Bar" or the words "and Bars", as the case may be.
Design of decorations
10 The design of each decoration shall be as prescribed.
Wearing of decorations
11 The manner of wearing each decoration shall be as determined by the Governor-General.
Registrar of awards
12 (1) There shall be a Registrar of Awards appointed by the Governor-General who shall maintain a Register of the names of persons to whom decorations have been awarded.
(2) The Registrar shall keep such other records relating to the award of decorations as the Governor-General directs.
Cancellation and Reinstatement
13 (1) The Governor-General may cancel an award of a decoration and may reinstate an award so cancelled.
(2) Where an award of a decoration is cancelled, the name of the person to whom the award was made shall be erased from the Register and the person shall return the decoration to the Registrar.
(3) Where an award that has been cancelled pursuant to sub-regulation (1) is reinstated, the Registrar shall restore the entry or entires in the Register that had been erased.
Table of Instruments
|Title||Date of notification in Gazette||Date of commencement||Outline of changes|
|Letters Patent and Regulations Governing the award of the Distinguished Service Decorations (1991, No. S25)||4 February 1991||15 January 1991|
|Letters Patent and Amendment of the Regulations Governing the award of the Distinguished Service Decorations (2012, No. S18)||22 February 2012||13 December 2011||Omit each mention of 'in action' and insert 'in warlike operations'.|
Table of Amendments
ad. = added or inserted am. = amended rep. = repealed rs. = repealed and substituted
|Provision affected||How affected|
|R. 3||am. 2012 No. S18|