Trees of Government House
There are over 2000 trees on the grounds of Government House.
They range from natives, such as the Eucalyptus meliodora (yellow box), which is believed to be over 400 years old, to the Deodar Cedar (Cedrus deodara) which was planted in 1841.
There are also 42 different commemorative – trees planted by either a visiting dignitary, former Governor-General or their spouse. The first official tree planting at Government House is a Cedrus Atlantica (Atlas Cedar) planted near what is now the Gowrie Garden by the Duke and Duchess of York in 1927.
Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth The Second and His Royal Highness The Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh each planted three trees (in 2000, 2006 and 2011).
His Majesty The King has also planted three trees (whilst Prince of Wales) – in 1966, 1985 and 2005.
Other trees have been planted by former presidents of the USA, Greece and Ireland.