Nominate someone for a Bravery Award
To nominate some, complete the PDF nomination form. You will need to include:
- The contact details of the person you are nominating
- A description of the incident where the brave act occurred
- Details of what the person you are nominating did; which could be supported by
- Photographs of the incident or the place it occurred
- Links to media articles or other information about the incident
- If available, the contact details of any other witnesses to the incident
- Your own contact details.
Who can be nominated
Anyone can nominate someone for an Australian Bravery Decoration.
The following people can be nominated:
- Australian Citizens.
- A person who is a citizen of another country and who carries out an act that may be considered worthy of recognition by Australia and in Australia’s interest.
- Members of Australia’s armed forces who carry out an act in times of peace, or of war (where the act was carried out in circumstances other than in actions against the enemy).
- Service personnel from other countries, whether in Australia or overseas.
Awards may be made posthumously and presented to the next of kin.
The consideration process
All nominations are strictly confidential.
After a nomination is received it is registered and an acknowledgement is sent to the nominator. The Honours and Award Secretariat research and gather information. All nominations are then presented to the Australian Bravery Decorations Council, which either:
- Recommends the Governor-General present an award
- Recommend not issuing an award; or
- defers the nomination to be considered at a later meeting.
Prior to the Council recommending an award to the Governor-General, a letter is sent to establish whether the nominee would be willing to accept an award.
Once the Governor-General has considered and approved those recommended for an award, congratulatory letters are sent to successful recipients.
Recipients attend investitures around Australia to receive the insignia of their award from either the Governor-General or state Governors.