Australian Antarctic Medal
The Australian Antarctic Medal (AAM) recognises outstanding service in scientific research or exploration in connection with an Australian Antarctic expedition.
The Australian Antarctic Medal was instituted in 1987 to recognise those who have rendered outstanding service in scientific research or exploration in connection with an Australian Antarctic expedition, or in support of such work, for 12 months or more in the Antarctic region, except in exceptional circumstances.
More information on the award can be found on the pmc.gov.au website and in the , which includes:
- history, eligibility and nomination details
- Letters Patent, Regulations and Determinations
- images and descriptions of what each award looks like; and
- guidance on how decorations are worn.
About Letters Patent, Regulations, Determinations, and Wearing
Each award in the Australian honours system has been approved by Letters Patent signed by The Sovereign on the recommendation of the Prime Minister. The Letters Patent institutes the medal and determines that the medal is governed by the Regulations for each award.
The Regulations are approved by The Sovereign and set out the terms and conditions of an award including factors such as eligibility criteria and designations of the award.
The Regulations also authorise the Governor-General to approve the manner of wearing of each award and the design of the medal. This document is known as the Determination.
The Determination makes reference to the:
- Order of Wearing of Australian Honours and Awards – this is the notification by the Governor-General of the order the Sovereign has determined each award is to be worn; and
- Guide to the Wearing of Insignia – this is a detailed guide outlining the appropriate manner in which insignia are worn.
Australian Antarctic Medal Letters Patent 1987 - 2 June 1987
subsequent letters patent that amend the regulations:
- Australian Antarctic Medal Letters Patent (Amendment) - 13 December 2011
- Australian Antarctic Medal Letters Patent (Amendment)- 18 December 1997
as amended by:
- Australian Antarctic Medal Regulations (Amendment) - 13 December 2011
- Australian Antarctic Medal Regulations (Amendment) - 18 December 1997
- Australian Antarctic Medal Regulations 1987 - 2 June 1987