Australian Intelligence Medal
The Australian Intelligence Medal (AIM) recognises distinguished service by individual members of the ten organisations that comprise the National Intelligence Community.
The Australian Intelligence Medal was instituted in 2020 to recognise those members of the National Intelligence Community who have given distinguished service that directly contributed to national intelligence priorities, requirements or capabilities.
More information is available on the pmc.gov.au website and in the , which includes:
- history, eligibility and nomination details
- Letters Patent, Regulations and Determinations
- images and descriptions of what each award looks like; and
- guidance on how decorations are worn.
About Letters Patent, Regulations, Determinations, and Wearing
Each award in the Australian honours system has been approved by Letters Patent signed by The Sovereign on the recommendation of the Prime Minister. The Letters Patent institutes the medal and determines that the medal is governed by the Regulations for each award.
The Regulations are approved by The Sovereign and set out the terms and conditions of an award including factors such as eligibility criteria and designations of the award.
The Regulations also authorise the Governor-General to approve the manner of wearing of each award and the design of the medal. This document is known as the Determination.
The Determination makes reference to the:
- Order of Wearing of Australian Honours and Awards - this is the notification by the Governor-General of the order the Sovereign has determined each award is to be worn; and
- Guide to the Wearing of Insignia - this is a detailed guide outlining the appropriate manner in which insignia are worn.
Australian Intelligence Medal Letters Patent 2020- 24 January 2020
subsequent letters patent that amend the regulations:
- Australian Intelligence Medal Letters Patent (Amendment) - 23 December 2021
as amended by:
- Australian Intelligence Medal Regulations (Amendment) - 23 December 2021
- Australian Intelligence Medal Regulations 2020 - 24 January 2020
- Australian Intelligence Medal Determination 2023 - 28 April 2023
- Meritorious Service Awards (Number of Awards) Determination 2022 - 8 March 2022