Emergency Services Medal
The Emergency Services Medal (ESM) recognises distinguished service as a member of an Australian emergency service.
The Emergency Services Medal was instituted in 1999 to recognise those who have rendered distinguished service as a member of an Australian emergency service. It is awarded to both those in state services and voluntary organisations. The Emergency Services Medal also recognises people who are involved in emergency management, training or education.
More information on the award can be found on the pmc.gov.au website and in the , which includes:
- history, eligibility and nomination details
- Letters Patent, Regulations and Determinations
- images and descriptions of what each award looks like; and
- guidance on how decorations are worn.
About Letters Patent, Regulations, Determinations, and Wearing
Each award in the Australian honours system has been approved by Letters Patent signed by The Sovereign on the recommendation of the Prime Minister. The Letters Patent institutes the medal and determines that the medal is governed by the Regulations for each award.
The Regulations are approved by The Sovereign and set out the terms and conditions of an award including factors such as eligibility criteria and designations of the award.
The Regulations also authorise the Governor-General to approve the manner of wearing of each award and the design of the medal. This document is known as the Determination.
The Determination makes reference to the:
- Order of Wearing of Australian Honours and Awards - this is the notification by the Governor-General of the order the Sovereign has determined each award is to be worn; and
- Guide to the Wearing of Insignia - this is a detailed guide outlining the appropriate manner in which insignia are worn.
Emergency Services Medal Letters Patent 1999 - 7 July 1999
subsequent letters patent that amend the regulations:
- Emergency Services Medal Letters Patent (Amendment) - 23 December 2021
as amended by:
- Emergency Services Medal Regulations (Amendment) - 23 December 2021
- Emergency Services Medal Regulations 1999 - 7 July 1999 (original instrument)
- Emergency Services Medal Determination 2023 - 28 April 2023
- Meritorious Service Awards (Number of Awards) Determination 2022 - 8 March 2022