Public Service Medal
The Public Service Medal (PSM) recognises public service employees, including those of the Australian Government and state, territory and local governments, who have given outstanding public service.
The Public Service Medal was instituted in 1989 to recognise outstanding service by employees of the public service. Outstanding service can include service excellence, innovation, leadership and other achievements.
More information on the award can be found on the pmc.gov.au website and in the , which includes:
- history, eligibility and nomination details
- Letters Patent, Regulations and Determinations
- images and descriptions of what each award looks like; and
- guidance on how decorations are worn.
About Letters Patent, Regulations, Determinations, and Wearing
Each award in the Australian honours system has been approved by Letters Patent signed by The Sovereign on the recommendation of the Prime Minister. The Letters Patent institutes the medal and determines that the medal is governed by the Regulations for each award.
The Regulations are approved by The Sovereign and set out the terms and conditions of an award including factors such as eligibility criteria and designations of the award.
The Regulations also authorise the Governor-General to approve the manner of wearing of each award and the design of the medal. This document is known as the Determination.
The Determination makes reference to the:
- Order of Wearing of Australian Honours and Awards - this is the notification by the Governor-General of the order the Sovereign has determined each award is to be worn; and
- Guide to the Wearing of Insignia - this is a detailed guide outlining the appropriate manner in which insignia are worn.
Public Service Medal Letters Patent 1989 - 18 October 1989
subsequent letters patent that amend the regulations:
- Public Service Medal Letters Patent (Amendment) - 23 December 2021
- Public Service Medal Letters Patent (Bali Bombings) - 14 August 2003
- Public Service Medal Letters Patent (Amendment) - 16 March 1995
Regulations Governing the Award of the Public Service Medal - January 2023
as amended by:
- Public Service Medal Regulations (Amendment) - 23 December 2021
- Public Service Medal Regulations (Amendment) - 16 March 1995
- Public Service Medal Regulations 1989 - 18 October 1989 (original instrument)
- Public Service Medal Determination 2023 - 28 April 2023
- Public Service Medal Determination 1991 - 11 November 1991
- Meritorious Service Awards (Number of Awards) Determination 2022 - 8 March 2022