I, GENERAL THE HONOURABLE SIR PETER COSGROVE AK MC (Retd), the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia, hereby make the following Investiture Ordinance in pursuance of section 30 of the Constitution of the Order of Australia.
7 February 2018
1 This Ordinance may be cited as the Investiture Ordinance.
2 (1) In this Ordinance, "Constitution" means the Constitution of the Order of Australia.
(2) Unless the contrary intention appears, an expression used in the Constitution and in this Ordinance has the same meaning in this Ordinance as in the Constitution.
(3) This Ordinance refers to awards within the General, Military and Honorary divisions.
(4) A Warrant to Conduct is an authorisation issued by the Governor-General for a person other than the Sovereign of the Chancellor to conduct an investiture.
3 (1) A person appointed to the Order of awarded the Medal of the Order shall be invested with the insignia of the Order by the Sovereign of the Chancellor of the Order or by such person, by Warrant to Conduct, as the Sovereign or the Chancellor may authorise.
(2) The Chancellor may, by Warrant under the Seal of the Order, permit the ceremony of investiture to be dispensed with in respected of any person named in the Warrant.
4 A person appointed as a Companion of the Order shall usually be invested by the Chancellor of the Order at Government House, Canberra in accordance with sub-regulation 3(1).
5 A person appointed to be an Officer or Member of the Order, or a person awarded the Medal of the Order, shall usually be invested by the Governor-General, if the recipient is a resident of the Australian Capital Territory or surrounding region, or the Governor or Administrator in the State or Territory in which the recipient currently resides, in accordance with sub-regulation 3(1).
6 A person appointed to the Order or a recipient of the Medal of the Order may be invested overseas, usually by the Australian Ambassador or High Commissioner, if they reside or are resident for the time being, within a foreign country, in accordance with sub-regulation 3(1).
7 (1) A person appointed to the Order as a Companion or Officer shall be invested with the Neck Badge insignia suspended from a 38mm ribbon. This ribbon should not be used again in accordance with sub-regulation 7(2).
(2) On all subsequent occasions the Neck Badge shall be worn in accordance with sub-regulations 8 or 9 of the Insignia Ordinance.
Note: On occasion it may be desirable for the Governor-General to invest recipients that reside outside the Australian Capital Territory and surrounding region.
- Investiture Ordinance 2018 - 7 February 2018